Over the past several years, Brecksville-Broadview Heights City Schools have offered healthy meal choices, and will continue to do so as we implement the guidelines set forth in the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. We have already introduced a variety of whole grain items, legumes, low-fat milk, and abundant choices of seasonal and local fresh fruits and vegetables. The following information summarizes changes your child (ren) will see in the school cafeterias:
· Students must now select a serving of a fruit or a vegetable to put together a complete lunch. There will be multiple vegetable and fruit choices each day for the student to choose from. Vegetable choices must include dark green, red/orange, legumes, starchy and other vegetables . . . . nothing new here, except this year, larger servings will be offered. Fresh fruit is available every day at all cafeterias.
· Menu components will be posted at the start of each line so that students will be able to easily identify meal options; cafeteria staff members will be assisting as well.
· At least half of the grains served must be whole grain. The majority of our grain choices are whole grain rich . . . . . breads, rice, pasta, and pizza crusts.
· School meals must meet strict limits for saturated fat, trans fats, portion size, and age appropriate calorie levels.
· Milk choices offered include only 1% fat or lower varieties.
School Meals are a great value and a huge convenience for busy families. Elementary lunch is $2.75, Middle and High School lunches are $3.00-$3.50. High School breakfast prices are $1.50-$2.00. All meals include milk. Please explain to your child (ren) that they must choose at least one serving of a fruit or a vegetable to make a complete meal. If you have questions, feel free to call us at 440-740-4761/4760.
We look forward to providing healthier menu choices this year and beyond, and hope that your children find then appealing as well as nutritious. As we continue to make these healthier changes, we thank you for your support.
Mary Kay Cook
Food Service Supervisor